Thursday, July 15, 2010

Finished Jungle quilt, part 2


I've finished the flying geese jungle themed baby quilt!


I really enjoyed putting this quilt together, I think my quilting skills are actually improving, even I was impressed that most of my points were pretty much right on.  This makes me want to tackle another half square triangle quilt sometime in the near future.



I used an array of yellows, oranges, greens, browns and just a splash of some light light aqua, and about half of my squares were a jungle print, one with a green background and one with a cream background.  I think the colors work very nice together as a gender neutral baby quilt (I was quite unsure of how this was going to turn out when I started).  As I was putting together my geese, I realized that the green jungle print was a directional print, but decided  I didn't mind that some of my animal heads point to the right, left or upside down...it adds charater!


The final product measures about 42 inches wide by 36 inches high.  This is by far the smallest quilt I've done, but I think its still large enough as a baby/crib quilt.  As for the quilting, I thought this quilt deserved some straight line zig zag quilting that followed the pattern or the colored part of the flying geese block.  I just the presser foot part of my walking foot and stitched two lines 1/4 inch outside the color part of the block, and the third line is 1/2 inch outside of the second line.  This picture I think shows off the quilting the best.

Here's a pic of the back of the quilt...


I like it, I dont think I'm in love with it though.  I actually meant for both blocks of flying geese blocks to point in the same direction, but to be honest, by the time I realized my mistake, I just decided to go with it. 

 

And another pic of the back, this again shows off more of the quilting. 

Since I finished this so quickly, I'll be posting to Lit and Laundry's Finished for Friday and AmyLouWho's Sew and Tell. 

I think I'm going to take a quilt making break for a few days...I have a few tote bags that have been requested, and I'm kind of excited to work on some one or two day projects!


19 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job and ARE acquiring some MAJOR quilt-making skills !!
    I love that the animals in one print (the white one) are already facing in all directions, as if to give permission to the animals in the second print (green) !

    I'm tickled that the geese are flying toward each other on the back........very clever, I think. And I didn't even notice that snazzy polka dot binding until I look up from this comments box ! Awesome orange !

    You deserve a break.......you're giving ME the itch to do something more colorful than I'm into right now. I bought the solid lime green today........who knows what it'll inspire !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cute! I really like the details you added to the back as well. :o)
    There is a new little page on my blog titled "bartering" and wanted to extend the invitation. :o) I am looking to trade fabric scraps for quality handcrafted jewelry. :o)
    Have a nice weekend.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 'sew' adorable! I love the bright colors and polka dot binding. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    www.seamsinspired.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really really cool. Great color combination and your points look perfect. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! The quilting on this is phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a beautiful job! I love the happy colors. The back looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this...the colors and pattern are so fun. i especially love the back of it...the piecing you did and the way the quilting stands out on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are brilliant at quilting. I attempted my first patchwork this week. I knew it would not be easy and thought I had started with an easy one but God it was hard to keep them lined up. As for quilting thats another story. Happy lush friday. Thanks for linking.Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific quilt! Colorful and gender neutral! I love the quilting and I just love the back! I think the geese facing each other is perfect and makes me think of antique quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great, great work! That was alot of piecing and quilting. A couple of small projects will be just the thing! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful! Love the jungle print ... great baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's absolutely GORGEOUS and I love the flying quilt block, wanna try one of them myself one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jessica your points are right on! It looks perfect for a baby quilt. The quilting really enhances the geese. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful baby quilt! I've never seen a quilt composed entirely of flying geese. I really, really like it! I'm going to remember this idea. Terrific job on the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your baby quilt. The colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a great quilt! all the flying geese look wonderful. Your colours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw your photoes of this lovely quilt on Flickr, and decided I had to go read your blog - what a nice surprise :) Be assured I will return to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks everyone for the positive feedback, and Ann (and others) please stop back! thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete